Thursday, October 30, 2008

Journal 6: Environment in Virtual World

Continuing from last time, I picked the Night Elf character then I travel to the city called “The Exodar”. I have never been inside any major city on Alliance side, so this is kind of new place for me to explore inside World of Warcraft beside Horde territories because I always play Horde side. I used my Night Elf travel to “The Exodar”, the major city of Draenai. I had to ride the ship from Darnassus which is the major city for Night Elf and I popped up on another island, apart from the big land. The first impression when I saw the city, is that it made me think of the movie “Superman”. The Exodar looks like the place from another planet. It has many huge crystals surrounding the area and many on the building. It looks like Alien planet for me. The city has only one building and it has very tall look. When I got inside the city, I didn’t really have to walk up the stair, but instead, I have to walk down below the ground. It’s like everything is underneath the land surface. Even though this city is not located in the Outland, I still feel like it’s not a part of the world. Maybe because of the purple fog around the area, it made me feel like which place on earth has the purple fog, but it might be the reflection coming out of crystals around the area.
The Exodar is full of some details on their building. The floor has symbols on it. The material that is used for the building looks like concrete but it might be some special material from out of space. As I walk inside the building, there are probably some pink or purple electric or some kind of effect coming out from the crystals. The building itself looks like being destroyed a bit because there’re some ruin and broken part of the building, but not too many spots. The color inside he building are purple, blue, and pink. The color of the city is matched the skin Draenai race. Again, inside the building, there’re full of decorative symbols pattern on the floor, on the wall and on the roof. I went into the inn and the room looks like you are inside of the spaceship. I didn’t see the bed or place from sleep like I saw in Horde inn, but I saw something looking like a big capsule and it can be open. I assumed that when a Draenai sleeps, he would have to get in there and close the shell. The capsule shape looks like an egg. There’re also a few beds at the front of the front desk. It has some strange symbol on it.
There’re not many things to interacting with around the area other than NPC character and some of the object for professional skill. I went to the room called The Vault of Lights and I saw something that looks like the time machine or teleport machine that we normally see in the movie such as Star Trek. I didn’t know what that is and I couldn’t rollover to see the name of it. The Draenai NPC is pretty interesting. Normally, when you keep clicking on the character too many times, it will start to say to you like “going away”. “I don’t have time for this” or “move along”. The Horde NPC character is pretty rude, but Draenai’s response from clicking their characters too many time, it will reply for your action politely. The Dranei accent is like good polite people with English accent and high class manner. It’s like I am living in London or some European country with some polite people.
I don’t know if I can compare this with any real city. The Exodar is pretty quiet. I don’t see many players running around, unlike Orgrimmar or Under City. I can’t compare The Exodar with some big City like New York City or San Francisco. If we let the density of population of Orgrimmar equal to NYC, I think the density of population in The Exodar is still pretty low. I don’t know because I played this at night. Maybe more people would show up on the weekend. This is kind of interesting that more people will gather around the weekend or in evening time. It’s like real like where you go shopping Mall on the weekend and you tend to see more people on some special occasion like Halloween or Christmas day in online virtual world. For example, in the world like World of Wacraft, they have quests to get special items to celebrate in real life holiday in virtual world such as the items like fire works, snowball, trick or treat for extra XP, candy or pumpkin head.

No comments: