Thursday, October 9, 2008

Virtual World

I pick the game “World of Warcraft” because I am currently paying monthly subscription. I have been playing the Horde side all the time, so I make a character in the Alliance side. I decide to pick Night Elf. The reason is that out of the Alliance side, I think Night elf seems to have an intimidated look more than other races, and that seems important since the game is based on battling against the Horde side which they have huge appearances such as Tauren and Orc. Night elf is a tall guy which is closely assembles to my personality because I am tall, but not very tall. I create this character as a male because I am a man. I wouldn’t imagine myself playing female as my character in any game. It’s not like I don’t like a female character but it doesn’t represent me and it might seem strange for me because this game you have to interact with others and other players can perceive me as a girl. It’s just so confused thinking about it. Even though there are many people playing different gender than their own, but when I can choose to pick a gender, I would definitely pick a male character.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t play the characters like Gnome or Dwarf because they are small. Gnome looks a bit funny because their faces are smiling all the time. I don’t like their appearances, especially their height. They are so small like children. Somehow I don’t feel like Gnome can be an avatar that represents me. Dwarf looks better than Gnome in terms of looks and intimidation. Dwarf is slightly taller than Gnome, but I still consider a short-people race which I don’t like. I have nothing against short people, but when I play the game like fighting or role playing game, I want to be as much overpower than any other characters in the game. We all want to be the best in the game. Back to Dwarf, I think they have better facial expression than Gnome because they have a fierce face with long beard and mustache. Bad thing about them is also that they are fat. That’s another negative point for Dwarf. Dwarf has a big belly like a Santa Clause, so I feel like it’s another funny character in the game.
The impression of me picking this Night elf as my avatar is that this character must be strong due to his height. I create the name of this Night elf “Nakedsnake”. The name comes from my favorite game “Metal Gear Solid 4”. Naked indicates the level difficulty in the game MGS 4. Snake is the main character name of the game. I always want to create with the name from my favorite thing whether it’s from my favorite game characters, movie characters or anime characters. I like to put different name which indicates personality from other game into my character, so I would feel like I’m character from another game invading World of Warcraft.
For the skin color, I make sure that I don’t pick too funky color like bright blue or purple, but I always stick with darker skin. For the face, I always pick the clean face with no winkle because I am not that old. For the hair style, I always love to pick long hair rather than short hair. Even though my real life hair is short, but I would like to have a long hair also because it looks cool like an old school professional wrestlers. I pick hair color to be dark blue since it’s my favorite color.
The introductory sequence has shown the environment of the Night elf which all trees and building covering with pink, blue and purple color. At the starter of the level 1, there’re not many skills that I have. I have to gain experience point by killing about-the-same-level creature or complete the quest. The journal for my avatar can take can be any places in this virtual world(of Warcraft), but it’s limited that the place that I can go can only be the place with the enemies level of those location is not exceeding orange color at enemies’ thumbnail level indication because if you go there and find characters with orange, red or skull level, I could get killed. Other than that, my character can freely go anywhere in this virtual world. Each NPC will talk to you when you click on them. The more frequent you click on them, the more that NPC will get annoyed and ask you to go away. The interface that controls this avatar can control by mouse clicking on the small square icons that represents the skill of the character. I can control my character to walk by an arrow key. I do not have many abilities to do every motion of skills, but I will have more control of my skill as the game progress through levels and stages.

No comments: